Speak to an Enrollment Specialist Now!
➲ Toll Free & No Commitment: 800-826-9228
Career Training Programs
Blackstone’s Medical Office Assistant Career Training Program teaches you how to run many aspects of a busy medical office. You will gain hands-on practice in coordinating patient schedules, using medical terminology, and managing tasks that make a medical office run smoothly. Graduates of Blackstone’s Medical Office Assistant program are qualified to sit for the National Certified Medical Office Assistant (NCMOA) exam administered by the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT). Certification provides further assurance of skills and knowledge to employers.
- Prerequisite: High School or General Equivalency Diploma
- Study Method: E-books with online study guides and exams
- Program Length: Completion time ranges from 4-12 months, with students given the option of up to 18 months if needed. Students must satisfy all academic and financial obligations to graduate from their program.
After completing the Medical Office Assistant Career Training Program, students will be able to:
- Define and explain different learning styles and learning strategies.
- Identify the parts of a computer and explain how technology is used in the office.
- Identify common word elements in medical terms.
- Identify common medical terms related to the organization of the body and the various body systems.
- Analyze medical terms to determine their meaning.
- Identify the parts of speech, the parts of sentences, and sentence type.
- Demonstrate correct English usage by choosing the correct part of speech in a sentence.
- Evaluate written communications to identify problems and suggest solutions.
- Describe the duties of a medical office assistant.
- Identify the correct way to schedule appointments, interact with patients over the telephone, interact with patients in the reception area, register patients, file documents and records, and process mail in the medical office.
- Identify common health insurance systems used in the medical office.
- Explain the difference between a healthcare record and a medical report.
- Describe the medical office assistant’s role in managing prescriptions and prescription drugs.
- Evaluate resumes and cover letters to identify problems and offer solutions.
- Consider ways to proactively search for work as a healthcare professional.
Why Choose a Career as a Medical Office Assistant?
The expansion of the health services industry from technological advances in medicine and a growing and aging population will result in an increasing need for those who want to work as a medical office assistant. The Occupational Outlook Handbook foresees the medical office assistant profession to be one of the fastest-growing occupations through 2020.
Medical Office Assistant Job Duties
The job of a medical office assistant can be multifaceted depending on the size and location of the practice. In a small practice, the assistant may handle all administrative duties, whereas in a larger practice, there may be more specialized administrative positions. Some of the duties of a medical office assistant include answering telephones; greeting patients; scheduling appointments, surgeries, and laboratory services; preparing new patient files; ordering office supplies; preparing purchase orders; handling billing and bookkeeping; preparing and filing medical insurance claims; and arranging for hospital admissions. The result of a trained, efficient, knowledgeable medical office assistant is a smooth, well-run medical practice.
Medical Office Assistant Job Opportunities
A medical office assistant will most likely secure employment in a physician’s office. Some will work in public and private hospitals and in offices of other health professionals, such as chiropractors and podiatrists. Other establishments that will hire a medical office assistant include outpatient care centers, public and private educational services, ambulatory healthcare services, state and local government agencies, medical and diagnostic laboratories, and nursing care facilities.
Service-oriented positions in the medical field continue to provide about half of the employment opportunities in the United States. People of all different backgrounds can train to become a medical office assistant. Rapid growth in the number of group practices, clinics, and other healthcare facilities will result in an increasing need of educated medical office assistants. In fact, employment for the medical office assistant profession is expected to grow much faster than the average – 31 percent or more – for all occupations through the year 2020.
What You Can Earn as a Medical Office Assistant
As with many careers, the earning potential of a medical office assistant varies depending on factors such as experience, skills and geographic location. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical office assistants earned an average of $28,860 in 2010. Those working in general medical and surgical hospitals earned higher salaries over those working in other healthcare entities. Advancement opportunities for medical office assistants include becoming office managers or moving into administrative support occupations. With additional education, the opportunities are endless for a career in the medical office assistant field.
Our accredited online Medical Office Assistant Career Training Program prepares you for an entry-level position as a Medical Office Assistant in a medical office, clinic or hospital. Our Medical Office Assistant program offers practical lessons in medical terminology and office procedures including:
- Managing routine tasks in the front office
- Handling insurance claim forms
- Transferring medical documents into electronic form
- Handling billing and collections
- Completing medical documents and insurance forms
Complete our Medical Office Assistant Career Training Program – anytime, anywhere. Blackstone will provide you with the following tools for success:
- Comprehensive textbook and study guide materials
- 24/7 access to Blackstone’s Online Student Center
- Dedicated academic and customer support
- Additional online content and resources via Blackstone’s social media
*All Materials included in tuition price.*
Blackstone Career Institute makes it easy for you to receive a quality education at an affordable cost. Choose the payment plan that best fits your needs and get started today! – Student Tuition Protection Policy
Available Payment Plans
All tuition plans are interest FREE! Choose affordable education on your terms. Speak with an Admissions Advisor at 1-800-826-9228 or enroll online now.